The Importance of Protection From the Sun
The warnings about damage to your skin from the ultraviolet radiation from the sun are common, but your eyes can also be damaged by UV and other types of radiation from the sun. Children are at particular risk for UV damage, so pediatricians generally recommend that they wear both hats and sunglasses when outdoors in bright sunlight. But sunglasses are important for adults, as well, and can help prevent a number of sun-related eye problems.
Medical Problems Your Eye Doctor Can Treat
Sun exposure is associated with a number of eye health conditions:
- Macular degeneration – this condition causes degeneration of the macula, the central area of the eye’s retina that controls acuity. Central vision can become shady or distorted, with blurriness or fuzziness. Exposure to damaging rays of the sun can worsen the condition.
- Pterygia – often called “surfer’s eye,” this condition causes pink growths on the conjunctiva, the clear tissue that covers the eye lines the eyelid. It is a common condition in individuals who spend a great deal of time outdoors in the sunlight.
- Cataracts – this condition causes a clouding of the cornea of the eyes. It generally occurs with aging and is made worse by exposure to UV rays from the sun.
- Photokeratitis – this condition is most often experienced as temporary “snow blindness” during the winter when light the is reflected off snow accumulations on the surrounding landscape.
- Pingueculae – this condition causes yellow growths on the conjunctiva at the edges of the cornea. It can also cause additional blood vessels in the eye, giving a “red eye” appearance.
Importance of Sunglasses For Men and Sunglasses For Women
Protecting your eyes from sun damage should be a part of your overall health care. Sunglasses for men are an important part of eye care to prevent damage from the sun’s UV rays. It’s not only men who spend a great deal of time working or playing outdoors that need effective eye protection. Sunglasses for women are also important to protect their eyes from the damaging rays of the sun as they go about their days, traveling to and from work, or when outdoors for recreational activities. A variety of designer frames are available to suit every style and taste. RevolutionEyes offers a number of well-known name brands, such as Tory Burch and Prada sunglasses to provide a stylish look for your eye protection.
Call Your Optometrist in Carmel, IN Today!
RevolutionEYES provides patients with a broad range of eye care services, including eye examination, eyeglass frames, contact lenses, management of eye infections and diseases, pre- and post-operative care and specialty eyewear. We can also provide eye care solutions for computer work and sports activities. Eye doctor Dr. Jeremy Ciano and his staff can offer complete eye care for you and your family. Call 317-844-2020 today for an appointment with an optometrist in Carmel IN to discuss your eye care needs. We look forward to seeing you!